Specifically for Seniors: Your Family Tree — Finding Your Roots

Love of the past implies faith in the future.
– Stephen Ambrose, 1936-2002

Specifically for Seniors Programs are held on the last Wednesday of each month through November, at 1:00 p.m. at the Fairmount Branch Library.

This month, the program will be given by our own Karen O’Connor, who will provide an introduction to resources that can help in your search for the roots of your family tree!

The program will be held on August 31 (that’s a Wednesday) at one o’clock at the Fairmount Branch Library (3000 N. Fairmount Street).

After the program, please come visit our Special Collections Center at the Main Library (312 Main Street) where our staff will do our best  to get you hooked on exploring your family’s past.

If you have any questions, please call the library: 563-326-7832

Mark your calendars, and we’ll see you there!

 

Posted in Genealogy | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Dog days of summer

The month of August is commonly referred to as “the dog days of summer”, so we at Special Collections thought we would share some of our favorite “dog” images from the Hostetler photograph collection.

The first set of pictures were taken around 1905 and show a little girl with a Jack Russell terrier. We believe the girl is Katherine M. Peek, daughter of Burton F. Peek of Moline. Mr. Peek was associated with John Deere Company. Katherine was born December 29, 1900. She studied at Bryn Mawr College and died on March 12,1987  in Pennsylvania.

 

This next photograph was taken around 1913 and shows a boy sitting on the grass with an Irish wolfhound. This image was part of a set featuring four children: One girl looked to be slightly older than this boy; another girl was preschool aged and a toddler of undetermined gender. All photographs appeared to be taken at a home, not in the studio. The original negative envelope was labeled “Curtis”. With this limited information we are unable to determine the identity of the boy (or the dog).

 

This image was taken around 1910 and shows a boy sitting on a chair with a collie lying in front of him. This photograph is part of a set of three pictures of the same boy. The original negative envelope was labeled “A. Grates”. With this limited information we are unable to determine the identity of either the boy or the dog in the photograph.

The last image was taken around 1913. We think this is a picture of Irma Kohn, daughter of Louis and Regina Kohn of Rock Island, and an English bulldog, parents unknown. Ms. Kohn (later known as “Koen”) was born October 8, 1884, in Rock Island.  She became  an artist who created oil paintings, watercolors and landscape scenes. She died on July 16, 1975, in California.

(posted by Cristina)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Just Shelved: Local Authors

It appears to be a well-kept secret that our Special Collections Center archives the work of local authors from Octave Thanet to Dick Stahl.

The most current additions to our local author shelves include:

  • Complicated Weather Poems by Ryan Collins, who lives in Rock Island, Illinois, and is currently serving as Quad City Arts’ poet-in-residence, explores the images and feelings—positive and negative— that certain places in the Quad-Cities can evoke.
  • Great Philosophers who Failed at Love by Andrew Shaffer is a humorous study of the eclectic love lives of great thinkers from Socrates to Simone de Beauvoir —and a cautionary tale for anyone who is attracted to profound intellectuals.  We don’t like to brag, but Mr. Shaffer is rumored to do some of his writing at our Eastern Branch library.
  • Twilight Run by Thomas Miller, of Bettendorf, is a young adult book about volcanoes, kidnappings, and the Iowa State track championships.
  • Life is Too Short:  Life is what we make it by David W. Dorris, of Davenport, was written to inspire readers to make advantageous life decisions.

While our copies of these items don’t circulate, our department has pretty comfy chairs, restrooms, and more importantly, considering current weather conditions, air conditioning.

Why not come in and spend the afternoon with a good book?

Posted in Library, Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Heat Wave: 1901

Fair tonight and Wednesday continued warm”*

A prosaic statement for sure, but warm failed to describe the conditions being dealt with by local individuals during the last two weeks of July 1901.  Drought, heat and humidity controlled our area, and most of the Midwest, that month bringing numerous deaths and crop devastation. 

How could it get any worse?  The city of Davenport was about to find out.

By July 18, 1901, little rain had fallen for a month.  The city was dry, with small fires frequently breaking out in local businesses and homes.  Crops and gardens were beginning to wither as well.  Adding to the suffering was the heat.  Since the last week in June, the daily temperature had been ranging from the upper 90s into the lower 100s.**  The only break was July 5th – 8th when the temperature hovered in the mid 80s. 

The continuous heat began taking a human toll by the third week of July.  The Davenport Times began to report more frequently on heat victims.  On July 18th, the paper noted Mr. George Strathmann began foaming at the mouth before falling unconscious while opening the Weiss Brothers Clothing Store.  Heat affliction was the reason, but he was expected to make a full recovery.  

The next day, the same paper reported  that another young man named Jerry Lynch became insane from a combination of grief over the recent death of a young friend and the excessive heat.  He stopped talking and eating at the dinner table that night.  After sitting without moving for nearly seven hours a doctor was called to the house and Mr. Lynch was taken to a local hospital for treatment.  The temperature during the week was in the upper 90s.

By Saturday July 20th, the temperature hit 101 degrees and by Sunday it had reached a record breaking 105 degrees—the hottest temperature ever recorded in the area.  The newspapers reported that people were moving into their cellars for what little coolness they could find there.  All night porch parties were all the rage and parks were filled nightly with people trying to find relief.  The papers reported on the 22nd that someone had dropped a match near the greenhouse at Central Park (now Vander Veer Park) starting a small fire.  The drought was getting worse.

Factories and businesses began to close as employees were becoming ill during working hours.  Tuesday July 23rd hit 105 degrees.  The Davenport Times began to list the names of those who had died from the heat and those suffering from heat related sickness.  The elderly and working individuals had been the early victims of the heat, but now infants began to be added to the death roll as well. 

The following Wednesday broke the record again:  106 degrees.  Motormen were allowed to go coatless while police officers were encouraged to wear their light weight coats.  Others were advised to shed the fashions of the day for shirt sleeves and light weight clothing.  Total crop failure seemed more imminent with each passing day.  Not only growing crops were in danger—high humidity was beginning to affect stored crops such as winter wheat.  Nothing was safe.

Thursday July 25th reached only 99 degrees with a light breeze. Three more heat related deaths appeared in the newspaper that day along with a list of those taken ill by the heat.  Factories and businesses still remained closed.  The early morning hours did have one unusual thing:  a trace of rain fell.  Not enough to help, but surely a sign of hope as reports came in that morning that heavy rain had begun to fall in other parts of the Midwest.

One can imagine the hope people felt as the afternoon slowly edged towards the dinner hour on July 25th.  Maybe things were beginning to turn around as cooler temperatures and a chance for heavy rain appeared to be approaching.  Maybe even that night!  They had dealt with heat, humidity, and drought for nearly the entire month. 

What more could happen?

At 4:45 p.m. workers returning from their jobs on Arsenal Island noticed a small plume of smoke rising along the river bank on East River Street near the foot of 4th Street.  By the time the fire department was notified it had become a roaring fire feed by nearby lumber mills, rising winds, and very dry conditions.

By the end of the night a section of east Davenport bordered from the Mississippi River on the south, Oneida Avenue on the east, Sixth Street on the north and Tremont Avenue on the west was destroyed.  Included were nearly 40 homes and several businesses including the lumber yard and mill of Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann.  The fire only added to the heat of the day as terrified people scrambled to outrun the flames. 

Approaching trains saw the flames from nearly 40 miles away as night approached.  It was thought by those passengers that the whole city was engulfed by flames.  It became the greatest fire in Davenport’s history.

There was no rain that night.  The heat from burning embers kept the area warm while smoke drifted over the city causing breathing problems for those trying to sleep outside in what little cool air there was. 

Friday July 26th saw a high temperature of 97 degrees.  Saturday July 27th 93 degrees and on Sunday July 28th it rained nearly an inch in the morning and reached only 91 degrees.  The heat wave was breaking while the town began to rebuild. 

Davenporters were happy to see July 1901 pass into history!

July 1901 is currently the second warmest July on record since record keeping began in 1871.***  July 1936 is still Number One.  1901 still has three of the hottest days in July on record.  They are July 21st – 105, July 23 – 105, and July 24th 106.  Surprisingly, July 1901 does not hold a top ten place as a driest month on record, but August 1901 does as the second driest August on record with only 0.46 inches of rainfall.

Hopefully these records won’t be broken any time soon! 

______________________

*The Davenport Times, July 23, 1901.  Pg. 1.
**All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.
***Temperature records are based from Moline, Illinois as Davenport did not keep official records until the 1980s. Both are part of the Quad-City region.

(posted by Amy D.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener…

This Saturday, July 16th, is National Hot Dog Day, so it seems like a good time to profile one of Davenport’s largest employers, and its predecessor.

Henry Kohrs was born in Holstein, Germany on November 15, 1830. He immigrated to New York City in 1853, and came to Davenport Iowa on March 13, 1854. He worked as a clerk in a dry goods store, where he quickly learned the language and customs. By saving his earnings, he was able to open his own retail meat market in 1855, where he sold bologna and sausage. In 1875, he branched out into the lucrative business of packing and shipping meat.

The Kohrs Packing Company was known for their “Crown” brand of hams and bacon, which sold all over the Midwest. The company helped put Davenport on the map as a prominent shipping point for the west, as well as the center of many industries.

Henry Kohrs died on December 31, 1917 at the age of 87.

Henry Kohrs and company butcher shop at 76 W. 2nd St., ca. 1870s

In 1883, German immigrant Oscar F. Mayer opened a corner market on Sedwick Avenue, on the north side of Chicago. He, too, was successful and his business expanded rapidly.  They were the first to “brand” their wieners, using the the familiar yellow paper ring in 1929, to give them “personality,” which other companies’ products lacked at the time.

The Oscar Mayer Company bought the old Kohrs Packing plant in Davenport in 1946. Slaughtering facilities were becoming obsolete in Chicago, so most of the meat packers were moving to Iowa towns like Davenport, where improved shipping conditions made it possible to relocate closer to the supply source, Iowa pork.

The Oscar Mayer Company had to design and develop its own machinery and packing materials to fit their unique needs. They were co-owners, along with the Dow Chemical Company, of the Kartridg Pak Company in Davenport, which manufactured food processing and packaging machinery and aerosol filling equipment.

An example of the company’s ingenuity is the continuous wiener processing technique, which allowed them to process 36,000 wieners an hour and allowed for a higher degree of quality control. In 1949, they developed the “Chub” package, a durable, airtight plastic tube for liver sausage and other sandwich spreads. In 1950, the “Slice Pak” was the first vacuum-sealed package for meat products; it later became known as the “Serve ‘n Seal”. In 1960, Oscar Meyer developed the “Saran” package, a tough, crystal-clear, vacuum-sealed package, which helped protect against oxidation.

Oscar F. Mayer died on March 11, 1955 at the age of 95.

Visitors at Oscar Mayer plant during the Spring Market Hog Show, 1952

__________________________________________

Works Cited

Biographical History and Portrait Gallery of Scott County, Iowa. (Chicago, IL: American Biographical Publishing Company), 1895.

“Henry Kohrs, Pioneer Founded Big Packing Industry in Davenport.”  Davenport Democrat and Leader, 20 July 1924.

Koenig, Wallace. “Midwest Profits As Packers Move.” Davenport Daily Times , 10 July 1959, p. 4.

Mayer, Oscar. G., Jr. (1970). “Oscar Mayer & Co.: From Corner Store to National Processor.” National Meeting of the Newcomen Society in North America. (Chicago, IL: Princeton University Press), p. 24.

 (posted by Cristina)

 

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , | 7 Comments

Have You Seen: Mrs. Millie Berger?

Every so often, we’re going to post the image (and available information) of a person, place, or thing  about which we would like to know more.  We would like to invite you to take a good look, and if you have any information, to please share in the comments or through our website.   If the information is confirmed, we will do a follow up post and award you permanent bragging rights to your excellent sleuthing skills.

*****

It is a little-known, yet exciting historical fact that the Hostetler Photography Studios—from which the majority of our glass negatives originate—made house calls.

The studio, known for its portraiture, also photographed weddings, funerals, family reunions, and all manner of events inside people’s homes, providing glimpses of everyday life that even the most expensive backdrops can’t.

These on-site images can also provide clues to identifying the people photographed.

We hope.

In our collections are three wedding images labeled “Mrs. Millie Berger.” Two are of a mature bride and groom in what is presumably someone’s parlor or front room:

The other is of the reception and shows the wedding party and family—and a yummy-looking cake—in what was probably the dining room:

 

As far as we have been able to determine, the photographs were taken in 1913, but so far we have not been able to locate any further information.  We’re not even sure if Millie is the bride, the bride’s mother, or perhaps a member of the groom’s family.

If you recognize anyone in the wedding party or think you know where this house might be located, please let us know!

 

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Introducing America’s GenealogyBank

We are pleased to announce that we’ve subscribed to another terrific online genealogy resource: America’s GenealogyBank.

This resource is user friendly—our staff enjoying experimenting with it!—and offers some keyword searching. Its five databases can help researchers find family members, verify deaths and provide personal information about the deceased, confirm genealogy information, and find close, living relatives.

GenealogyBank is divided into two sections. 

The Historical section includes Historical Newspapers (1690 – 1977), which encompassesfully searchable newspapers for small towns and big cities alike; Historical Books (1801-1900), which is a collection of over  eleven thousand printed items, including genealogies, biographies, funeral sermons, local histories, pamphlets, cards, and charts; and Historical Documents (1789-1980), which features casualty lists, Revolutionary and Civil War pension requests, widow’s claims, orphan petitions, land grants, American State Papers, genealogical information from the U.S. Serial Set, and other records..

The Modern section includes America’s Obituaries (1977-Current), which lists over 37 million obituaries from over two thousand newspapers; and the Social Security Death Index (1937-Current).

America’s GenealogyBank is now available on every public workstation at all three Davenport library locations.  http://www.davenportlibrary.com/Page/Hours_Locations.aspx?nt=111

Why not come in for a test drive?

Posted in Genealogy, Library, Local History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

One hundred years ago: Davenport High School, Class of 1911

In June of this year, around 970 students graduated from our three Davenport high schools.

In contrast, ninety-two students received their diplomas from Davenport High School in June of 1911. This marked the first time that graduates from both semesters were placed in a single class.

At the time, the high school offered four different courses of study: Latin (for students who wished to pursue an academic course at college), Science (for students who desired to enter a technical school/college, or for those who wished full work in science and math), German (much like the Latin course, but with four years of German) and Commercial (preparation for business pursuits).

Some of the graduates were later photographed by J. B. Hostetler in the 1910s, and we were able to locate their portraits in our Photograph Collection.  Here, then, are a few of the lovely ladies of the class of 1911:

Velma Delano, daughter of Isaac and Martha Delano, was a graduate of the Latin Course. She married Alvin Anderson in Scott County on March 21, 1917.

Velma F. Delano

Velma Delano, ca. 1914

 

Helen Grace Mosenfelder, daughter of Eli and Millie Mosenfelder, graduated from the Latin Course. She married Rueben Wines in Scott County on January 15, 1915.

Helen Grace Mosenfelder

Helen Mosenfelder, ca. 1910

 

Helen Josephine Kohn, daughter of Max and Julia Kohn, also graduated from the Latin Course. She married David Gottlieb in Scott County on April 8, 1913.

Helen Josephine Kohn

Helen Kohn, ca. 1913

 

Clara Louise Hass, daughter of John and Emma Hass, graduated from the German Course. She married Walter Kruse in Scott County on June  2, 1917.

Clara Louise Hass

Clara L. Hass, ca. 1912

 

And Jennica Guldner, daughter of Fred and Christina Guldner, graduated from the Commercial Course. She Married Clarence E. Stage in Scott County on February 6, 1915.

Jennica Olive Guldner

Jennica Guldner, ca. 1915

 

____
Sources Used:

Davenport Democrat & Leader. “1911 High School Class is large.” 19June1911: 10.

Davenport High School: Outlines of the courses of study 1916. (Davenport, Iowa: High School Press), 1916.

(posted by Cristina)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Summer is here!

And about time, too.

Summer river outing, ca. 1890s

This image shows nineteen people and one brave little boat sitting pretty low in the water, on a “Summer River Outing”, 1890’s style.

This 4 x 6 inch postcard is part of our photograph collection and was donated to the Davenport Public Library by the Franciscan Sisters in 1990.

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Summit Cemetery: Memories of a Rural Past

It catches the eye.  Nestled amongst more elaborate headstones in Summit Cemetery is a small wooden grave marker.  It is simply engraved “Lena Smith 1915 – 1932.”  One cannot walk by, but feels the need to stop and ponder about this young girl and her simple monument as the smell of corn from the nearby fields drifts in the air.   

Located on the corner of Utica Ridge Road and Blackhawk Trail this small piece of land contains not only the cemetery, but historic Summit Church as well.  Built in 1858 – 1859, this building is a reminder of the small country churches that once dotted the local landscape.  Once known as the Summit Presbyterian Church it is owned and maintained today by the Scott County Historical Society. 

It feels as though a church service could begin at any moment (regular services ended in 1972).  One can picture in the mind’s eye the sanctuary windows open to allow the summer breeze to flow through the room.  Listening to the sermon, a glance out of the windows on the right side of the church would provide a picturesque view of farms and growing fields while the view from the left would be a reminder of the past as the headstones of the cemetery gleam white and black against the green of the trees and fields nearby.

In the midst of all the white and black headstones is that of Lena Smith.  The wood of her marker a dull gray with green summer moss and cracks marring its surface but not hiding the name and date so deeply cut into its face. 

We have learned through research that Lena was the second of seven children born to Dawson and Laura Smith.   In the 1930 census it is recorded that Lena lived on a farm with her parents and siblings in Allen’s Grove Township in Scott County.  The Daily Democrat and Leader published a small article on her death on August 19, 1932.  17 year old Lena had been ill for two weeks before passing away at noon on that day.  She had been born and reared in Scott County and was a student at Davenport High School.  Arrangements were pending.

A glance at the Davenport High School yearbook for 1932 does not show Lena as a member of that year’s graduating class.  During that time period only graduating seniors were pictured.  She cannot be found in any of the activity or club photos either. 

Only Lena is buried in Summit Cemetery.  Her family appears to have moved outside the area within a year or two of her death.  We currently do not know where they relocated. 

Summit and other rural cemeteries are wonderful places to explore.  A small adventure while enjoying the beauty of our area and remembering those who came before us.

If you would like to explore Summit Church and Cemetery an opportunity exists as the Scott County Historical Society will hold its annual Ice Cream Social and Fundraiser at the site on Wednesday, July 20th from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.  Please see our Blog Calendar of Events for more information.

It is a wonder in some ways that Lena’s small wooden marker still stands so strong with the intense weather changes our area experiences every year.  In 2012 Lena’s marker will have stood in Summit Cemetery for 80 years marking a life that ended far too young.   

(Photo by Amy Driskill)

(posted by Amy D.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment