A Fire Engine by Any Other Name

Great excitement greeted the arrival of the month of March in 1866—and it wasn’t weather related! 

The citizens of Davenport were awaiting the arrival of their new fire engine with great anticipation.  This wasn’t a simple hand pump type, but a modern Button and Blake Steam Engine model patented in 1864.  It would also be the first steam fire engine west of the Mississippi River and north of St. Louis.*

Vol. 172 VM89-001373. Later steam fire engine owned by the Davenport Fire Department. This model dates from the 1870s. No pictures are known to exist of the Michael Donahue. The Michael Donahue would have looked similar to the engine pictured.

Prior to 1882, when they became a unified, paid city department, individual fire companies were created around Davenport  by concerned citizens.   Beginning in 1865, these companies began raising money for new steam fire engines.  Up to that time, they had been using typical hand pump engines. 

As the name indicates, the hand pump engines needed to be manually pumped to create water flow.  Newspaper accounts of the day indicate that the physical exertion needed by the hand pumps quickly tired the firemen—not the best case scenario at a fire scene!  But the steam fire engines used coal and steam to create the pumping motion.  Men (and their strength) could then be employed in other activities during a fire.

The “Pilot No. 3” company, as did all the volunteer fire companies, relied strongly on the support of local citizens for financial support and supplies.  “No. 3” promised that the highest donor to their steam engine drive would have the new equipment named after them.  The money was soon raised and the order placed.

The steam fire engine arrived from the state of New York on March 7, 1866, via the railroad.  It arrived with the name “Red Rover” inscribed upon it, but “No. 3” promised to unveil its new name at a great christening ceremony a few days later.  Mr. Button was also on his way from New York to be there for the first tests of this new machine.  The celebration was about to begin.

An evening fête was planned at the German Theatre on March 8th for the grand unveiling of the new machine.  Everyone was invited to attend. 

At 9:00 p.m., the stage curtains at the German Theatre parted to reveal the 4,000 pound engine surrounded by members of the “No. 3” fire company.  As promised, the machine was christened the Michael Donahue, after the man who had given the most money towards its purchase.  Speeches were given to rousing applause.  Eventually the formal events gave way to the promised dancing to round out the evening.

On March 9th the Davenport City Council held their regular meeting.  A petition was presented by members of the Pilot No. 3 Engine to be renamed the “Liberty Steam Fire Engine and Hose Company No. 1.” The resolution was adopted by council and old “No. 3” soon had the nickname of Liberty Company.

Saturday, March 10th was another day of celebration as the Liberty Company paraded down the streets with their new machine.  The parade was well attended by not only citizens wanting to see the new equipment, but also by other volunteer fire companies from Davenport and Rock Island who were invited to participate.  Another reception was held afterwards at the German Theatre for further viewing of the engine (and probably some more speeches, too).

 Mr. Button finally arrived on March 12th, but full testing of the engine was delayed until the afternoon of March 14th due to inclement spring weather.  The public’s interest had not waned at all when the tests were undertaken along the levee at the foot of Perry Street.  Crowds filled the area to witness the engine take only 8 minutes from start to steam and then water spray testing commenced.  Liberty Company and the crowd seemed pleased with the results.  Mr. Button was paid in cash as the transaction was completed and Davenport had its first steam fire engine.

The Michael Donahue first saw action around 2:00 a.m. on March 20th , when lightning struck  and ignited the new brick stable of the Pennsylvania House, on Iowa Street near Fourth Street.  The engine was placed near the Mississippi River.  There, one hose was put into the river and the machine pumped water through another hose to Rescue Company No. 2’s engine, which was probably a hand pump machine.  The horses and buggies were saved, but the rest of the supplies and stables were a loss.

But who was Michael Donahue? 

Mr. Donahue was a Scottish immigrant who moved to Davenport around 1855 and purchased the LeClaire Foundry and Iron Works.  He was also a member of the Pilot No. 3 Engine Company eventually earning his diploma as a veteran fireman.  In 1867, he was elected mayor of Davenport.  Fascinating is a good word to describe Mr. Donahue’s life, but we will save the rest of his many and varied accomplishments for a later article.

So how much did Mr. Donahue contribute to the fund?  His contribution was estimated to be $325 according to local newspapers.  The Davenport Daily Gazette, August 11, 1865, reported the steam engine would cost $4,000.  By today’s costs that total is just over $55,000.  Mr. Donahue’s contribution today would be just over $4,500.** 

Even at those prices, the Michael Donahue would not be the only steam fire engine in town for long.***  Within a month, the Fire King Engine and Hose Company would be in possession of their first steam fire engine as well.

This indicates that the citizens of Davenport were serious about their fire companies.  This concern and support would be needed in the future, but that, too, is a story for another time.

_____

*Davenport Daily Gazette, March 8, 1866, Pg. 4.

**Estimates from www.westegg.com.

***According to The Daily Times, October 29, 1942 Pg. 8, the Michael Donahue had been retired many years before. While in storage in 1933 it was damaged in a fire. The engine had then been placed on display on and off around Davenport until it was donated for scrap metal in support of the war in October 1942. 

(posted by Amy D.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Novel Cuisine

It’s a given in the Quad-Cities that if an organization or business is around long enough, it will produce a cookbook.  Just look at the 641.5 shelves in our Special Collections Center and you’ll see decades worth of church cookbooks, newspaper cookbooks, television station cookbooks, hotel and B&B cookbooks, museum cookbooks, school cookbooks, and so on.

The library itself has been no exception.  We have a nice collection of staff recipe booklets going back thirty-odd years, which not only proves the old adage that a library moves on its stomach (or was that an army?), but shows how much recipes have changed over the years—or haven’t.  It will come as no surprise to anyone who knows library staff that the sweets and desserts sections are always the longest!

But you can always count on our Special Collections Center to sneak in a little history: some of our contributions include recipes from local restaurants and even local historical figures.  The library’s 2003 cookbook has three of Annie Wittenmyer’s recipes, originally printed in 1864.  One of these is for Fruit Pudding:

Place slices of bread, well-buttered, evenly over the bottom of a dripping pan.  Cover with a thick layer of stewed or canned small fruit, then add another layer of slices of buttered bread and alternate with fruit until the pan is full.  For ordinary sized pan add three eggs to 3 pints of milk and 3 1.2 pounds of sugar well beaten.  Pour over and bake with moderate heat.  When eggs and milk cannot be obtained the canned milk, diluted, can be used without eggs.

One would never know she was the inventor of a dietary kitchen . . .

So, if you’re ever planning a literary lunch or have been searching everywhere for the recipe for Griffin’s Spaghetti Sauce or Petersen’s Olive Nut Spread, why not try some of our Novel Cuisine?

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Long time Special Collections librarian passes away

Many long time genealogists and local historians will remember Mary Herr, who worked at the Davenport Public Library for more than 40 years.  She had a great interest in genealogy and local history and spent her last working years assisting researchers in the Special Collections Center.

Local history and genealogy researchers continue to benefit from Mary’s work.  She was responsible for creating indexes to local news stories published in Davenport area newspapers and also worked to index other records.

Mary loved to assist researchers and had a phenomenal memory.  Once she helped you with your family research she always remembered not only who you were but the details of the family you were searching.

Mary died on February 12, 2011.  We’ll always be grateful for her dedication and expertise.

Mary Herr - former Special Collections Librarian

Posted in Library, Local History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Weekly Outlook: D.N. Richardson and Ads of Interest

THE WEEKLY OUTLOOK  —  DEVOTED TO HOME & OUTING LIFE, LITERATURE, ART, MUSIC & THE DRAMA (Volume 1 — Number 8, August 29, 1896)

NOTABLES  

A fine lithographic portrait of D. N. Richardson graces page one of the Outlook this week, adding him to the cast of NOTABLES deemed worthy of the front page honor. Richardson came to Iowa in the 1850’s and entered the newspaper business, co-owning the Davenport Democrat and Leader with his brother, J.J. and acting as editor.

Guest author Octave Thanet (Alice French) wrote an artistic sketch of David Nelson Richardson for the Outlook calling him “a striking figure, a tall man with iron gray, closely trimmed beard, and air of distinction and a winning and approachable genius. He has the gift of telling a story, and an equal gift of appreciating anyone’s else [sic] good story. For many years Davenport has both loved and been proud of its most cosmopolitan citizen.” Richardson was a longtime regent of the State University [the University of Iowa in Iowa City], an omnivorous reader (per Miss French), and a world traveler.

We would be remiss if we did not mention that Alice Richardson-Sloane, one of the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center benefactors, is the great-great granddaughter of Mr. Richardson.

MUSIC AND THE DRAMA

Tennessee’s Pardner will be the opening play of the season at the recently remodeled Burtis Opera House next week. Apparently the interior underwent a delightful change including improving its acoustic properties. Not a bad seat in the house now, they say.

LEADING ADVERTISERS

Below is an image of page 7 of this week’s paper, just to give you a feeling for the advertising section put together by the Outlook team.

The veritable Wild West Show at the Fair and Exposition sounds exciting. Mrs. A. Seymour, Clairvoyant, Business Medium and Psychometrist guarantees your satisfaction. And take note of those cute kids looking through the chocolate box!

Future editions of the Outlook advertise a contest; win a $10 goldpiece and a chance to name the newest candy at Maehr’s. Just come up with a terrific new name. The winning name in April 1897? Farrago!!!

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The Groundhog’s Revenge?

Groundhog Day 2011 in the Quad Cities might be interesting as almost a foot of snow is predicted to fall from Tuesday afternoon into Groundhog Day Wednesday.  Extreme cold and high winds should also add to the predicted weather event.  To try to be positive about the weather prediction we can focus on the chance that all of these conditions will create a cloudy Groundhog Day and the groundhog is less likely to see its shadow.  A shorter winter would be welcome right now. 

The tradition of Groundhog Day can be found, in part, in Europe and the religious holiday of Candlemas.  The Germans are reported to have been the first group to associate Candlemas with the hedgehog (found in Germany) to predict weather.  An old German folk saying for Candlemas is “If Candlemas brings wind and snow, Then spring will very soon show. But if it’s clear and bright, Then spring won’t come so right.”

When Germans immigrated to the United States the hedgehog was replaced by the local groundhog.  Groundhog committees were formed in towns on February 2nd to find a groundhog and bring it out to see if its shadow was seen. Davenport, with its large German population in the nineteenth century, also participated in this tradition.  We came across one description relating to Groundhog Day 1875.  It seems an almost cautionary tale of how not to proceed with your local groundhog on his special day.

The Davenport Democrat on February 2, 1875 described the events of that day’s Candlemas, or Groundhog Day, event.  As was the custom, a groundhog committee had been appointed to find a groundhog and encourage the animal not to see his shadow.  Members of the 1875 groundhog committee included Chairman Warren Teele, James Thompson, Dr. Burtis, and Alderman Skinner. Apparently another regular committee member, Dr. Barrymore, was not available for the 1875 groundhog search so well respected hunter Colonel Berryhill was brought along to find the hibernating animal.  Berryhill located a hole and the newspaper reported, “They surrounded the hole; the G. H. came out, the hole was captured, and the back of winter is broken; the committee have public thanks.”*

One reason the groundhog committee may have seemed so dedicated to breaking winter’s grasp was never ending cold.  January 1875 had been the coldest January on record.**  Groundhog Day had been mild enough for temperatures to rise for the first time in weeks.  Those who went to sleep that night with thoughts of an early end to winter would be sadly disappointed the next morning. 

Rain began to fall during the night changing to sleet that covered the streets of Davenport with a thick layer of ice. Soon the sleet turned to lightweight snow.  Then the wind picked up, the snow blew about, and the temperature plunged below zero.  This left ice covered streets and blinding snow to greet people as they awoke to a new day.

The Davenport Democrat on February 3, 1875 put under the Items In Brief column “The worst day you ever saw.” and “The Ground Hog fooled the whole crew of them yesterday.”  Streets were reported to be in dangerous condition due to the ice. 

Weather related injuries included a little girl with frostbitten fingers and a boy who fell and cut his head.  They both were on their way to school when the incidents occurred.  Other injuries among townspeople included broken bones, concussions, and spinal injuries.  One man was hit by a wagon that slid across a road while another wagon overturned and injured its driver. 

Probably one of the more interesting injuries reported was to Assistant Postmaster Teele who fell and bruised himself severely.  Postmaster Teele and Warren Teele of the groundhog committee are the same person it appears through research.  The newspaper reported that Mr. Teele was so out of sorts after his spill that he swore vengeance on the ground hog for the weather troubles. 

Another member of the ground hog committee appeared in the news that day.  Alderman Skinner along with Alderman Priester, Alderman Stevenson and Mayor Rose were the only souls to make it to the city council meeting that night.  The meeting was rescheduled to February 10th for lack of quorum.

Even trains were not able to move in the storm due to local ice and snow storms in the west.  One Chicago to California train arrived in Davenport and the majority of passengers chose to stay in Davenport hotels rather than risk being on the train if it were to get stuck in the drifts reported in western Iowa. 

One train in particular captured the attention of Davenporters.  A train with a car load of cattle became stuck near Duck Creek without food or water.  The decision was made to bring them back to the cattle yard near Third Street in downtown Davenport as it was not known when trains would be moving again. 

Everything went well until the cattle reached the top of Brady Street with its steep hill that runs down to the Mississippi River.  Then chaos let loose as they began to walk down the hill.  The estimated 100 animals slipped and fell down Brady Street causing a major ruckus as they bellowed loudly and had to be helped up over and over again.  A few even refused to move at all by the time they reached Third Street and the drivers had to load about eight of the cattle onto sleds and pull them to the stock yard.  Not a good day for man or beast.

It would take several days for things to return to relative winter normal in Davenport.  Trains eventually began to move again, roads and sidewalks became safer to travel upon, and the cows were eventually sent on their way after their great ice adventure. 

Winter’s grip was far from over though.  February 1875 became the coldest February on record.***  A title it still holds today.  Could this be a groundhog’s revenge as hinted at by Mr. Teele?  We assume not, but can only imagine that if a groundhog could laugh, it probably did on February 3, 1875. 

* The Davenport Democrat, February 2, 1875, Page 1.

**January 1875 is now listed as the fifth coldest January on record for the Quad Cities with a daily average of 9.4 degrees Fahrenheit.  Temperature records are based from Moline, Illinois (starting in 1872) as Davenport did not keep official records until the 1980s. Both are part of the Quad-City region.

***The National Weather Service ranks February 1875 as the coldest February on record for Moline, Illinois with a daily average of 10.4 degrees Fahrenheit. . Temperature records are based from Moline, Illinois (starting in 1872) as Davenport did not keep official records until the 1980s. Both are part of the Quad-City region.

(posted by Amy D.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

The Weekly Outlook: Boredom, Salmagundi, Wheels, and Weavers

THE WEEKLY OUTLOOK  —  DEVOTED TO HOME & OUTING LIFE, LITERATURE, ART, MUSIC & THE DRAMA (Volume 1  Number 7 —August 22, 1896)

SOCIAL LIFE

It’s been a long, hot summer and it would seem that the folks at The Weekly Outlook are getting a little bored with Davenport. Social Editor Susie Glaspell writes,

“Doesn’t it seem to you that society has been a little slow this week? Don’t you ever wish that something way out of the ordinary would happen?”

Miss Glaspell assures everyone she hasn’t “the slightest desire to see anything unusual take place within the charming circle of our time-honored and strictly conventional tri-city society”. She just wants someone to diverge from the beaten track and “give something other than a reception, a supper party, or a ball”.

Susan K. Glaspell was the Social Editor of The Weekly Outlook, a Davenport newspaper published for two years beginning July 1896.

Enter Mrs. William H. Hicks, Mrs. Henry S. Manning, Mrs. Will E. Warren, and Mrs. Charles Eugene Banks [aka Carrie Wyatt Banks – associate editor of this fine paper]. These courageous women didn’t step out of the box, they leapt out by hosting – a SALMAGUNDI PARTY.  What crazy, outrageous thing is this you ask? Why, it is a card party and five tables of guests, some from as far away as Chicago, Terre Haute, Dubuque and Williamsburg, attended. Each table played a different card game;  whist, cinque, euchre, hearts and fish pond. Mrs. Sheriff won highest honors. Mrs. E. M. White “triumphed in the booby”.

I wonder if Miss Glaspell was invited?

WHEEL LIFE 

Editor Banks states that he thinks there are more “wheels per capita in Davenport than in any other American city”. He suggests a few simple rules of the road:

Keep to the right when wheeling.

Go around to the left when passing.

Go slow at corners and street crossings.

Ring your bell once and then stop it. Continued ringing startles everybody and chaos results.

He would get along just fine on  today’s Quad-Cities bike paths!

 

SOCIALETTES

Mrs. John Weaver celebrated her ninetieth birthday last Sunday. Both she and her husband are hale and hearty and celebrated their golden wedding eight years ago. It hardly need be said the occasion was one of great happiness.

We hope Julia Ann Weaver enjoyed reading this little socialette. When she died on March 1, 1899 she was 92 years old and the second to the last person in the United States whose father was in the Revolutionary War. From her Oakdale Cemetery record we learn she was born in Drummondtown, Virginia and died several years before her husband, John.

RIP, Mrs. Weaver.

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Mapping History

The City of Davenport is justifiably proud of its historic districts, which number among the oldest in Iowa.  Visitors often stop in at the library for information on the myriad houses and sites that the National Park Service has placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Thanks to the City, that information is not only easily available, but all mapped out in a series of beautifully photographed brochures.

We currently have “folding tour guides” for the following historic districts:

#2: Oak Lane—this unique district was meant for leisurely Sunday drives

#5: Bridge Avenue—nine historically significant homes in a one-block area

#6:  Prospect Park—Davenport annexed this neighborhood in 1851; find out why!

#7:  The Village of East Davenport—the small town within the city

#8:  McClellan Heights— lovely view, lovely homes, and more history than you can imagine

#9: Vander Veer Park—The place to be at the dawn of the twentieth century

#10:  Columbia Avenue— if you like Tudor Revival, this is the district for you!

 #12:  Riverview Terrace—the name doesn’t quite say it all

 #16: Cork Hill— the predominantly Irish neighborhood around Sacred Heart Cathedral

 #17: College Square—the most educated site in the city

So if you’re visiting Davenport—or just want to know more about your own backyard—why not stop by the library and pick up a handful of historic districts?

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The Nation’s First Concentration Camp

In its almost one hundred and seventy-five years, Davenport has had many national firsts.  Some of these fill us with a sense of comfortable pride.  Others do not.

Genealogists and local historians may know that the Quad-City area was originally home to several Native American tribes, primarily the Sac-Fox and the Pottawattamie. But occasionally, a researcher will come to our area looking for information on members of a different tribe, one that wasn’t forced to leave, but was instead imprisoned.

The Civil War is such a large event in our history that it is often forgotten that there was another war going on between the United States and the Native American population, who were none too happy with the new nation’s westward expansion. The Sioux tribes in the Minnesota Territories, who had long been the victims of cultural misunderstandings, unfair treaties, and fraudulent tradesmen, were no exception.

In August of 1862, the Minnesota Sioux, under the leadership of Little Crow, decided to forcibly take back the lands for which they had received no payment. They declared war by attacking the Lower Sioux Indian Agency, a little south of present-day Morton and moving on to destroy the nearby settlements in the area.

The fighting was vicious, but the United States sent more and more soldiers until Little Crow and his men were defeated, a little more than a month after their first attack. The majority fled to the Dakota Territories, but over 500 Sioux were captured. Thirty-eight were hanged in 1863.

The rest were sent to Davenport.

In April of 1863, two-hundred and seventy-seven men, sixteen women, and two children arrived by steamboat and transferred to a hastily prepared section of Camp McClellan, which was still an active training camp for Iowa volunteer soldiers.

According to the Davenport Democrat, the prison area was 200 feet square. This held four buildings: two for the prisoners to sleep in (no beds were provided), one for a hospital, and one for the guardhouse. The paper reported that the Sioux were happy enough, as they had plenty of room.

Further newspaper reports blamed the Sioux for the unhygienic and filthy conditions in which they lived, while decrying that these criminals were being fed and cared for at great expense. By the end of the year, at least thirty had died from age, sickness, neglect, and indifference.

By spring of 1864, however, local resentment had lessened and prisoner labor parties were allowed to work in the fields without fear of lynching. Twenty-seven prisoners were pardoned that year by President Lincoln. And in December, A large lodge was donated by General Baker to be used by Big Eagle, who was the ranking prisoner.

Despite this relaxing of hostilities, it wasn’t until April 10, 1866 that President Johnson released the remaining one hundred, seventy-seven Sioux, who were sent to Santee, Nebraska. The prison site was eventually cleared and developed as a residential area, which was dubbed McClellan Heights—the promotional literature makes much of the view and the Civil War connections, but somehow fails to mention the prison or its captives.

It is important, however, to remember the dark times as well as the good, and neither the camp nor the prisoners have ever been forgotten. In 2005, members of the Dakota Sioux tribe held a Dakota Memorial Ceremony on the former site of Camp Kearny. It is hoped that a monument can be erected at the site to honor the memory of those who were incarcerated in what some historians have called the nation’s first concentration camp.

_____

Sources used:

 
“Indian murderers at Post McClellan.” Davenport Democrat, April 27, 1863, p.1.
 
Geyer, Thomas. “Dakota Indians to honor imprisoned tribesmen.” Quad-City Times, April 23, 2005, p. A6.
 
Holtz, David. “Dakotas gather to honor ancestors.” Quad-City Times, April 24, 2005, pp. A4-A8.
 
“Put them where they belong.” Daily Gazette, June 2, 1865, p.1.
 
Satterlee, Marion P. Outbreak and Massacre by the Dakota Indians in Minnesota in 1862. (Bowie, Md. : Heritage Books) 2001.
 
Temple, Seth. “Camp McClellan during the Civil War.´ Annals of Iowa, volume 21, number 1, July 1937.
(posted by Sarah)
Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 4 Comments

Our “Special” Visitors for 2010

In 2010, genealogists and history researchers came from all over the country to the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center, to use our wonderful resources.

They came from far away to fill in the blank branches of their Family Trees. They found copies of birth, marriage and death records of their Scott County, Iowa ancestors. They came to do research on the Iowa Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home, Colonel George Davenport and Bix Beiderbecke. They looked at newspaper articles on microfilm, online databases we subscribe to and our photograph collection. Their searches were made easier by the many indices that have been prepared by our volunteers from the Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society.

Last year we had visitors from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota, Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, Colorado, Arkansas, Arizona and California.

Our superlatives were: St. Petersburg, Florida in the south; Oroville, California in the west; and our furthest traveler, from the north & east was from Kaarst, Germany!

Check out this map with all of our visitors for the year 2010, as recorded in our Guest Book.  Pretty cool, huh?


View Special Collections Visitors 2010 in a larger map
We thank our guest for visiting us this past year. We hope to see you again soon! And if you came in to visit but did not sign our guest book, let us know in the comments, so we can add you to our map!

Are you planning to visit us this year? We look forward to helping you!

(posted by Cristina)

Posted in Library | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Fore!: Golfing in the Hotel Blackhawk

Winter is settling in around us in Davenport.  It is almost a surprise to realize that December 21st, the oh-so-wonderful first day of winter, has only just past.  The warmth of spring seems a long ways away this week. 

Fortunately, Quad-Citians and visitors alike have a “new” wonderful indoor place to explore this winter (and for years to come).  The Hotel Blackhawk has been restored and once again opened its doors to the public on December 15, 2010.

We have blogged before about the hotel which played a major role in the social lives of many Davenporters since it opened for the first time on February 16, 1915 (please click here or type Hotel Blackhawk in our search engine for more stories).  The hotel is a place filled with history around every corner and we are always finding wonderful stories we would like to blog about. 

When the hotel first opened in 1915, it was a magnificent seven story building.  Within a few years business was booming and more space was needed.  On April 27, 1919 the Davenport Democrat and Leader newspaper announced plans were being drawn up for two more stories to be added to the structure.  On July 26, 1920 the newspaper announced that building was about to commence on not two, but four new floors for the hotel bringing the building to eleven stories.  The Blackhawk Hotel Corporation hoped the rooms would be ready by January 1, 1921.

The owners could not have foreseen work strikes, labor competition from the construction of the Kahl Building a few blocks away, and other setbacks that would delay progress for months.  Construction was not finished by January 1, 1921.  Then the owners announced they hoped the new addition would be completed by May 1st of that year.  When that deadline passed, it seems a different approach was used for opening the new floors.  Instead of opening all the floors at once, each floor would be opened on an as needed basis.  

The eighth floor was the first to be opened in the new addition on October 17, 1921.  The opening of the ninth floor followed in January 1922.  By May of that same year conventions were being held on the tenth floor of the Hotel Blackhawk.  That left only the eleventh floor.  When it did open it offered a look completely different from the famous elegance of the floors below.

The eleventh floor’s nickname said it all.  It was called “the Barn”.  During the 1920s the floor was left relatively unfinished with exposed rafters adding to the “barn” look as late as 1928 according to the Davenport Democrat and Leader.  But its lack of elegance did not mean the eleventh floor was not used.  Groups that rented the space included fraternities and sororities for socials while the American Legion held stag parties there.  Not only parties filled the room, but in the winter months a golf school opened.  Imagine golfing while looking over Davenport and the Mississippi River below!

It appears that the first school was opened by Mr. Tom Macrorie in January 1923. Mr. Macrorie was a professional golfer who worked at the Rock Island Arsenal Golf club.  His golf school included a practice course, the latest equipment, and two nets – we can only imagine protecting the windows to some degree.  By 1926, Mr. Art Andrew, golf professional at the Davenport Country club, operated the indoor golf course.  Many social and professional club members would go upstairs to practice or play tournaments at the conclusion of their club meetings downstairs. 

By 1928, a Mr. Waldo Johnson operated the indoor course.  His business on the eleventh floor was probably short-lived.  On February 19, 1929 the Davenport Democrat and Leader reported that the Blackhawk Hotel Corporation was refinancing and would convert the tenth and eleventh floors to kitchenette apartments immediately.  It appears the days of college socials, stag parties, and golfing over the city of Davenport in “the Barn” were nearing an end; but what an amazing experience it must have been while it lasted!

 “The Barn” would eventually become a floor known for fine dining.  The private Davenport Club featured elegant dining from the late 1970s until 1993.  Before that the Skyline Room, which opened in the 1960s, offered guests the chance to dine while looking over the twinkling lights of Davenport, Rock Island and the Mississippi River.  Maybe some of those diners could remember the days of the golf course on the eleventh floor?  Imagine the memories!

Congratulations to the Hotel Blackhawk on their reopening and may the eleventh floor be filled with elegance (or even golfing) for years to come.

(posted by Amy D.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment