Looking for that elusive next great book to read? I like to look at what’s popular with book clubs; the books they read are usually timely, well-written, thoughtful and provocative, all ingredients for a great read.
Reading Book Choices, a website that reviews books with an eye toward book clubs, has just released their list of the top book club books of 2007. Have you read any on this list? All of them? Would you recommend them to a friend? Any that were missed? Any you need to add to your to-read list?
1. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
2. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
4. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
5. The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
6 TIE Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
6 TIE The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
7. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
8. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
10. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Don’t forget, the Davenport Library offers Bookclub in a Box, kits which include multiple copies of a single title, information on the author and sample questions to get your discussion started. They can be checked out for six weeks. We have more than 40 titles and we’re adding new ones all the time. Visit the library catalog and type in “bookclub in a box” for a complete listing.