Remembering those who perished

Ann Riepe

Anna M. Dittmer was born on January 13, 1930 in Davenport to Peter H. and Ethel L. (Danson) Dittmer. She graduated from Davenport High School in 1947 and was co-editor of the school newspaper and activities editor of the yearbook. Ann Dittmer married Robert James Riepe on October 4, 1955. The couple had 6 children: Patricia, Kathleen, Jeffrey, Susan, Rebecca, and Christine. Ann Riepe died on Wednesday, July 15, 2020, at Huntington Place in Janesville, Wisconsin.

She was the 150th President of the Scott County Iowa Pioneer Settlers Association and past President of the Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society when they hosted the Federation of Genealogical Societies conference in 2001. Ann volunteered her time at the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center. She wore a personalized name tag with her maiden name in case someone came in to do research on that family. She was so dedicated that she would walk long distances to catch the bus to come in for volunteering shift. We are lucky to have known Ann and will miss her kind smile and expertise.

Anna Dittmer, Spring Editor of the 1947 Davenport High School Blackhawk Newspaper.
Ann and the SCIGS table at the 2001 Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference at The RiverCenter in Davenport.
Ann Riepe holding the Scott County Iowa Pioneer Settlers Association’s presidents’ cane.

Ed Rauch

Edwin “Butch” Rauch, Jr. was born on February 22, 1949, in Davenport to Edwin and Edna (Forbes) Rauch. After graduation from Davenport High School in 1968, he served in the Navy for 2 years during the Vietnam War. Ed married Susan E. LoRang on October 10, 1970. The couple had 3 children: Chad, Lynsey, and Karen. Ed Rauch died unexpectedly on Sunday, July 19, 2020, at his beloved lake home in Bernard, Iowa.

After his retirement from the Rock Island Arsenal in 2004, Ed came to work at the Davenport Public Library as the morning custodian. He was always in a cheerful mood and had an infectious laugh that brightened everyone’s day. He lived for his weekends at the lake, where he did some fishing, but mostly relaxed with his favorite beverage in his hand. We are saddened by Ed’s passing and will miss him greatly.

Davenport High School Class of 1968.

Please share your memories of Ann and Ed in the comments section below.

(posted by Cristina)

This entry was posted in Local History. Bookmark the permalink.