2020 marks the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower voyage and the founding of Plymouth Colony. Commemorative publications, programs, and tours are planned in the US, the UK, and the Netherlands by various organizations, including the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, the New England Historic Genealogical Society, and Plymouth 400, Inc.
In preparation for the festivities, we will be blogging about our resources for different Mayflower families throughout the year. This month we’ll explore the family of Henry Samson!
Henry Samson was baptized on January 15, 1603/04 in at St. Mary’s Church, Henlow, Co. Bedford, England to James and Martha (Cooper) Samson.
Henry was about 16 years old when he boarded the Mayflower with his cousin/aunt Ann (Cooper) and Edward Tilley. His relatives did not survive the first winter at Plymouth.
Since Henry was a teenager and did not sign the Mayflower Compact he is sometimes overlooked as a Mayflower Ancestor. Henry Samson married Ann Plummer on February 6, 1635/36 in Plymouth.
Mr. Samson moved to Duxbury ca. 1643 and was elected constable in 1661 and tax collector in 1667-68. The will of “Henery Sampson of Duxburrow” is dated December 24, 1684.
The first generation of Henry Samson descendants:
- Elizabeth, born 1638-1642, married Robert Sprout ca. 1661.
- Hannah, born 1642-1646, married Josiah Holmes on March 20, 1665/6.
- [unknown], born ca. 1648, married John Hanmore/Hanmer ca. 1682.
- John, born ca. 1640.
- Mary, born ca. 1650, married John Summers/Somers ca. 1684.
- Dorcas, born ca. 1652, married Thomas Bonney ca. 1684.
- James, born ca. 1644, married Hannah [unknown] Wait ca. 1679.
- Stephen, born ca. 1638, marriedElizabeth [unknown] ca. 1686.
- Caleb, born ca.1654, married Mercy Standish ca. 1686.
Want to learn more about Henry Samson’s descendants? Stop by the Richardson-Sloane Special Collections Center and browse through volume 20 of Mayflower Families through five generations (SC 929.2 May)
- Wakefield, Robert S. et. al. Mayflower Families in Progress: Henry Samson of the Mayflower and His Descendants for Four Generations. Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1992.
- Wakefield, Robert S. Mayflower Families through Five Generations, Descendants of the Pilgrims Who Landed at Plymouth, Mass. December 1620, Vol. 20: Family of Henry Samson. Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2000.
- American Ancestors: Henry Samson
- Pilgrim Hall Museum: Henry Samson, Mayflower passenger
- Caleb Johnson’s Mayflower History: Henry Samson
- Pilgrim Henry Samson Kindred
- A Genealogical Profile of Henry Samson/Sampson
- Find A Grave: Henry Samson
(posted by Cristina)