Holiday Receipts, Davenport-style

One of the oldest cookbooks in our collections is from the First Presbyterian Church in Davenport.  Titled Cook Book, its pages are brittle and smudged with use.

This item has no official copyright date, but there are a few clues to its age:  the rare telephone numbers in the sponsor ads are only two to four digits long—the earliest telephone lines in Davenport were installed around 1878.  Also, a former owner of this cookbook inserted a recipe written on a piece of stationery from the Northern Steamboat Company—the line for the date is pre-printed 1915.

Other hints that this book was compiled around the turn of the last century can be found in the recipes—or receipts, as the book calls them.  The donors apparently assumed that everyone knows what a “moderate” or “fairly quick” oven might be, how one would steam or fry something—or even how to put together a list of ingredients without any instructions at all:

“Never Fail” Pie Crust:

Two tablespoons of lard, four tablespoons of water, eight tablespoons of flour and a pinch of salt.  Quantities are easily remembered by “two times four equals eight.”

—Mrs. C. E. Adams

Or, for that whimsical touch:

Sponge Cake.

(Never Fails.)
“Stand on your legs
And beat four eggs,
                 One cupful of sugar
And beat like a “booger,”
                 One cupful of flour,
And bake half an hour.”*

—Mrs. Wm. Johnson

Apparently, an art of some kind has been lost, as well as the original meaning of a certain word. . .

The recipes in Cook Book range from simple, nourishing Oxtail Soup and Fried Corn Meal Porridge, to dishes meant for holiday dining:

Braised Tongue:

One large, fresh tongue.  Two heaping tablespoons of flour.  Any kind of vegetables, like carrots, celery, peas, turnips, etc.  Large bunch of parsley, one onion, one potato, sliced, one bay leaf, one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, two tablespoons of butter.  Wash tongue thoroughly, put in two quarts of water and cook for two hours.  Take out and skin the tongue, cut off rough piece at the roots.  Put butter and flour in iron kettle, brown and thicken with the bullion from the tongue, put in all the vegetables, then put in the tongue, cover tight and back two hours more, basting every fifteen minutes.  When done, slice tongue, put on plates, and pour sauce and vegetables over it.”

—Mrs. August Reimers

Or perhaps

Jellied Veal:

Get four veal shanks, boil, skim several times; then add salt and two onions, cut up.  When the meat falls from the bones, remove from the fire and strain.  When the meat is cool, cut into small pieces; add one can of mushrooms and sliced sweet red pepper.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Put in mold and pour over it the strained liquor until it shows at the sides.  This is nice molded into individual molds.

—Mrs. J. L. Manker

And we mustn’t forget dessert!

Snow Pudding:

Four tablespoons of corn starch dissolved in one-half cup of cold water; to this add one pint of boiling water, one and one-half cups of sugar, and the juice of two lemons.  When cooked and cold, fold in the whites of three eggs beaten stiff.

Custard Sauce for Pudding:

Cook in double boiler the yolks of three eggs, three tablespoonfuls of sugar, one pint of milk, salt.

—Mrs. L. M. Coffman

Anyone who feels confident in puzzling out these recipes is welcome to visit us and take a look at First Presbyterian’s book—or any of the many locally-connected cookbooks in our collection.  We can’t promise that they’ll help you with a holiday feast ala Alice French, but the results should be unique!

____

*An addendum to this poem suggests that one separates the eggs first before beating each part, and adds the stiff whites just before baking.  For what it’s worth, the oven should be moderate.

(posted by Sarah)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

The Spectra Hoax

Arthur Davison Ficke was born in Davenport in 1883, and although he studied law and went into business with his father, Charles August Ficke, he was a poet at heart, publishing his first two collections, From the Isles: A Series of Songs out of Greece and The Happy Princess, and Other Poems in 1907.  He was, as so many Quad-City writers have been (and continue to be), a critical and popular success. 

But what Arthur Davison Ficke is best known for is the three-year hoax he and fellow poet Witter Bynner perpetrated on the literary world—a trick that backfired in some unexpected ways.

It all started in 1916, when Harold Witter Bynner visited his good friend Arthur in Davenport, Iowa.  Neither of the two poets, both known for their classic styles, cared for the new ‘modern free verse’ movements that had arisen prior to World War I.  In fact, they didn’t consider any of it poetry at all and thought the people who wrote it took their philosophies—and themselves—far too seriously.

Bynner proposed that they mock the entire business by creating a fake school of poetry and writing a collection of the the worst poems they could, under pseudonyms.

According to William Jay Smith, a mutual friend, the two men were so excited about their new venture and so loud in their glee that Evelyn Ficke kicked them both out of the house until they were done.   So it came to be that the seeds of Spectrism were planted in Davenport, but the movement itself was born in a hotel room in Moline, Illinois, “from ten quarts of excellent Scotch in ten days.” *

They renamed themselves Emanuel Morgan (Bynner) and Anne Knish (Ficke) and wrote up several impenetrable rules and guidelines for the new school:  “The insubstantiality of the poet’s spectres should touch with a tremulous vibrancy of ultimate fact the reader’s sense of the immediate theme.”    The poems—written to be awful—were eclectic, to say the least: 

Opus 182
(by Anne Knish)

He’s the remnant of a suit that has been drowned;
That’s what decided me,” said Clarice.
“And so I married him.
I really wanted a merman;
And this slimy quality in him
Won me.
No one forbade the banns.
Ergo—will you love me?”

Ficke and Bynner assembled a collection of these randomly numbered verses, titled it Spectra:  A book of poetic experiments, and sent it to their own publisher, Mitchell Kennerley, who they assumed would see through their ruse.  To their surprise, Kennerley accepted Spectra as a legitimate manuscript by two new poets and decided to publish it.  Once he was let in on the joke, he agreed to keep the secret and published anyway.

Some readers and critics loved this new style of free verse, some hated it, but all of them fell for it.  Bynner was even asked to review Spectra for the New Republic, which he did—for a fee.  The review was favorable, but he wasn’t so kind during his lectures and speeches:  “Most of the schismatic poetry is nothing but rot.  How one can take up his time with it is beyond me.”  He had to admit, however, that Emanuel Morgan had some talent.

Spectrism grew by leaps and bounds, and soon another poet, Elijah Hay (actually Marjorie Allen Seiffert), joined the school.   The movement rose to such acceptance and popularity, that  Brynner and Ficke feared it had all gone too far. 

When war broke out in Europe and Ficke went to fight in France, he and Bynner decided the joke had gone on long enough.  They hoped that the next Spectrist collection, published in the literary magazine Others, would be so far over the top that everyone would realize the fakery.

This seems to have worked.  On April 26, 1918, when during a speech Brynner was giving in Detroit, someone in the audience stood up and asked him,  “Is it not true, Mr. Bynner, that you are Emanuel Morgan and that Arthur Davison Ficke is Anne Knish?”  

Mr. Brynner’s answer was just as straightforward; it was “Yes.”  . . . Then and there, to the vast amusement of the audience, he related in detail for the first time the true story of Spectra.”**

Both Brynner and Ficke admitted that the hoax had backfired on them.  Instead of showing the world how dreadful modernistic poetry was, many readers preferred the work of Morgan and Knish to their real life counterparts.  The two friends also had a difficult time separating themselves from their alter egos as well, since they’d become so adept at writing in the ‘false’ style.  And some of Spectrism’s staunchest supporters, included several fellow poets, never forgave them for the trick.

This being said, the time he’d spent as Anne Knish appears to have had a beneficial effect on Arthur Davison Ficke, who admitted later that he’d learned a great deal about poetic composition from the experiment . . . and that some of his best poems were spectric.   Instead of ruining his literary career, the hoax seems to have inspired it; soon after the reveal, he quit law to become a full-time poet.  And while Ficke still published sonnets and lyrical poems until his death in 1945, he also experimented with new forms.

—-

* The Spectra Hoax, p.17.

** The Spectra Hoax, p. 15

Sources used:

Ficke, Arthur Davison and Bynner, Witter.  Spectra: A book of Poetic Experiments

Smith, William Jay.  The Spectra Hoax. (Wesleyan University Press, Middletown, CT), 1961.

(posted by Sarah)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Bridging the Gap: State-Recorded Iowa Death Records

As genealogists with 20th century Iowa relatives know, Iowa law did not require births, marriages and deaths to be recorded at the county level between 1920 and 1941.  These records were sent directly to the State.

Although many clerks did continute to sporadically record these vital statistics, as time allowed, most had stopped by 1930.  This leaves a significant—and frustrating—gap in the records held by county courthouses and genealogysocieties, libraries, and centers.  And while these records can be requested through the Iowa Bureau of Health Statistics, it is often difficult to do so without knowing, for example, the exact date of death—and indexes are few and far between for this time period.

Until now.

To help bridge this  gap, the State Historical Society of Iowa is assembling an index of state-level, pre-1935 death records for each county. These indexes, which are .pdf documents,  include the name of the deceased, the birth place and date, the death date, the mother’s maiden name, the certificate number, and the archive box number.

Not only is this information useful for the family charts, it will assist the researcher in ordering the correct record from the state. 

This project is very much a work in progress, but links to the completed indexes are on the SHSI State Archives Holdings page on their website.   Once all the counties are completed, further records will be added in compliance with state law, which requires a seventy-five year holding period before the release of state records.

Finally!  A little closure for those of us who have—or think we have—relatives who died in Iowa during this 20-year county record drought.

Thank you, SHSI!

Posted in Genealogy | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Davenporters of Note: Eugene B. Ely

November is National Aviation Month, so it seems like the perfect time to honor one of Davenport’s foremost flyboys.

Eugene B. Ely, son of attorney N. D. Ely,was born in Williamsburg, Iowa, on October 21st, 1886. When Eugene was nine, his family moved to Davenport, where he attended grammar and high schools.  After graduation, he worked as a mechanic and salesman at P. C. Petersen garage and later moved to San Francisco, where he learned to fly.  He was hired by Glenn Curtiss to be a pilot.

On November 14th, 1910, Eugene Ely became the first person to fly an airplane off the deck of a war ship, successfully taking off from the USS Birmingham off Hampton Roads, Virginia. Two months later, on January 18th, 1911 he became the first person to land on a war ship, successfully landing on the USS Pennsylvania at San Francisco Bay.

 Back in Davenport, an Aviation Meet was planned for October 7 and 8, 1911, at Suburban Park (now Credit Island Park).  The event was to feature Curtiss aviators Charles Walsh  . . . and native son Eugene Ely.

Mr. Ely arrived by train to the Rock Island depot on Thursday, October 5th and was paraded through downtown Davenport with a brass band.  A reception was held in his honor at the Kimball House in Davenport and the next day a banquet at the Commercial Club arranged by P. C. Petersen.   Mr. Ely was presented with a gold watch inscribed: “From Friends at Home”.

It was a warm welcome for the aviator, and his display of flying skill earned him a lavish send-off in appreciation and hopes that Mr. Ely would soon return.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t to be: on October 19, 1911, just a week or so after the meet in Davenport, Eugene Ely died during an exhibition at the Georgia State Fair.  Davenport newspapers eulogized their favorite pilot and the world of aviation mourned the loss of one of its most talented young men.

__________

Image courtesy of the Davenport Democrat and Leader, 10 October 1911,  page 11.

Sources Used:

“Davenporters Honor Native Son; Aviator Eugene Ely Remembered.” Davenport Democrat and Leader 8 October 1911: page 28.

“Eugene Ely “brass banded” to hotel.” Davenport Democrat and Leader 6 October 1911: page 15.

“Pictures Taken at the Aviation Meet in Davenport.” Davenport Democrat and Leader 10 October 1911: page 11.

Speer, Mary Louise. “Air of history: Daredevils of the past kept all eyes to the skies.” Quad-City Times 19 June 2001: page B1.

Willard, John. “Eugene Ely blazes a trail in the sky.” Quad-City Times 16 December 2003: page B1.

(posted by Cristina)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

It’s Turkey Note Time!

It’s that special time of year when the leaves turn beautiful, the weather turns ugly, and those new to our fair city turn to our Special Collections Center for information about Turkey Notes

Our standard explanation is here.

And once again, our staff would like to offer some of the very best Turkey Notes to our readers . . . but we came up with these instead:

Turkey Jade
Turkey Jasper
There’s football on—
Could you eat faster?

Turkey Read
Turkey See
Turkey says
We’ll help with your family tree.

Turkey short,
Turkey long
Turkey needs an article
On Louis Armstrong

Turkey Moon
Turkey Sun
Don’t sit there, Turkey—
Run, run, run!

Turkey Angel
Turkey Champ
Turkey says
Was your ancestor a scamp?

Turkey washed.
Turkey dried.
Turkey dropped a dish
And cried.

If you’d like to add your own efforts to the comments, we’d love to see them!

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted in Local History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Weekly Outlook: French, Terpsichore, and Night Blooms

THE WEEKLY OUTLOOK  –  DEVOTED TO HOME & OUTING LIFE, LITERATURE, ART, MUSIC & THE DRAMAc (Volume 1  Number 6  – August 15, 1896)

NOTABLES:

The cover of today’s edition is graced with an image of local novelist Alice French.  Her addition to the gallery of notable men and women of Davenport is accompanied by her reasons for choosing “Octave Thanet” as her nom de guerre. “Octavia” had been the name of a school roommate. Miss French shortened it to Octave so that publishers couldn’t discern whether the author was male or female. She claims “Thanet” was written on the side of a railroad boxcar. By August 1896 “Octave Thanet” had two short story collections and a well-received novel to her credit.

Alice French continued her successful writing career and contributed a great deal to Davenport’s culture and society. One example was a reading benefitting the expansion of St. Luke’s Hospital that netted $107.32. Other substantial sums were raised by the Charity Ball of February 1895 and the St. Luke’s trolley party last fall. These monies afforded the “fitting up of an operating room and the establishment of a Nurses’ Training School.” The operating room now has electric lights and a fan! “Any one entertaining the old fashioned idea that a hospital was a gloomy, death like sort of place and that nurses were formidable creatures” needs to visit this updated institution which is “admirably conducted.”

MUSIC AND THE DRAMA:

Perhaps Editor Banks was accused of nepotism for running the following piece that originated in San Francisco Music and Drama about his wife:

Carrie Wyatt, for several seasons a favorite at the old California Theatre under the late John McCullough’s management, has retired from the stage and is now associate editor of the Weekly Outlook, a bright society journal published at Davenport, Iowa, of which her husband, Charles E. Banks, is the editor and manager.

This section has expanded in this issue to include “Footlight Flashes”: tidbits of gossip, new plays opening and so on.

SOCIAL LIFE – SOCIALETTES:

For the young society set, the Ashland Club parties have taken the place of those given until this year by the Terpsichore Club. Terpsichore is defined as Dance; but “Dance Club” is not a very interesting name for the young society set.

A very pretty wedding between enterprising businessman Mr. William Richter and Blondina Martens, eldest daughter of Davenport Police Captain Martens, was held this week. Mayor Vollmer conducted the services.

And at 330 East Sixth Street, Mrs. E. E. Miller assembled her friends to experience the delicious perfume of her night blooming cereus.

Evidently, this cactus flower only opens one night each year…certainly reason for celebration! Good going, Mrs. Miller!! That sounds like a pretty unusual event, and I hope Miss Glaspell enjoyed the diversion!

Party on!

(Posted by Karen O.)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

A Moment to Remember: Armistice Day, 1925

The ghosts and goblins were gone and local turkeys were still being fattened up in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. But Davenporters, and most of the world, were about to pause in their holiday preparations on to remember those who fought and sacrificed everything in the Great War.

Armistice Day in 1925 was both a celebration and memorial to November 11, 1918 , the day a peace treaty was signed creating a cease fire, which led to the end of a war that had devastated countries and killed an estimated 16 million people, military and civilian, wounding an estimated 21 million more.

The 11th fell on a Wednesday that year; local businesses and schools on both sides of the Mississippi closed for the day. In Davenport, the day began with a “monster street parade”* that began at the Scott County Courthouse at 9:30 a.m. and traveled through the downtown business district.

Officers from the Davenport Police Department led the start of the parade that was estimated to be over a mile long and contain representatives from nearly every organization in the city. This included seven large bands, hundreds of children (from the Turner Societies, Orphans Home, Boy & Girl Scouts, R.O.T.C., and more), and veterans from the G.A.R. (Civil War), Spanish-American War, and the World War (as World War I was known at that time).** Those who could wore their uniforms and followed their colors as thousands of spectators paid their respects and gentlemen removed their hats.

The parade wound its way through the streets until it ended at the Levee shortly before 11:00 a.m. Spectators followed the parade and thousands of people lined the Davenport levee and turned to face the east. At 10:45 a.m. a French 75 millimeter gun was fired in a 21 gun salute.

At 11:00 a.m. the gun ceased firing and a bugle played by Spanish-American War veteran Frank Ruefer sounded roll call. Then gun fire erupted from both sides of the river—Rock Island had its own parade and levee memorial—and factory whistles filled the air in memory of the celebration that had taken place seven years before.

The celebration was far from finished. From the levee at the end of Main Street, the crowd moved to the Davenport side of the Rock Island Arsenal Bridge where the first Gold Star Iowa highway marker was unveiled. The seven foot high plague was dedicated to local teacher Marion Crandell, the first American woman killed in active service during the Great War. Pupils from St. Katherine’s School, where Miss Crandell had taught, were among those present to honor their former French teacher.***

By 11:30 a.m., the Davenport Fire Department was demonstrating aerial ladder use and life saving techniques to an estimated 15,000 interested onlookers. Drill team competitions, street dancing to live music, business open houses, and a football game between St. Ambrose and Notre Dame Reserves filled the afternoon hours.

The celebrations continued into the night. At 8:30 p.m., the Armistice Ball opened first at the Coliseum and then at the Eagles’ Danceland and the Hotel Blackhawk Gold Room. There was even an American Legion Armistice Day Beauty Contest held during the ball, with twenty-eight swimsuit-clad participants traveling between the dance sites.  Ten contestants were eliminated at each site before the winner of the contest, nineteen-year old Dorothy Eckmann, was crowned Miss Davenport at the Gold Room celebration.^ This certainly gave a “Roaring Twenties” twist to the day’s traditional events!

Eighty-one Scott County men and Miss Marion Crandell died while serving our country in World War I. We remember their sacrifice and the bravery of all who have served, fought, and sacrificed, on this Veteran’s Day.

(posted by Amy D.)

____

* The Daily Times, November 10, 1925, Pg. 2.

**The Daily Times, November 11, 1925, Front Page.

***Davenport Democrat and Leader, November 11, 1925, Pg. 15.

^ The Daily Times, November 12, 1925, Front Page.

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

What’s in a Name?

It’s really fun to find your ancestors in old newspaper columns, vital records and census listings. But what happens if you cannot recognize the name of the town they lived in?

If it doesn’t exist now, how can you find out where it was and if it still exists by another name?

One resource is Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices of Iowa. The call number for this item is 977.7 Mot and it is available for use in the Special Collections department or check it out to use at home, as there is also a circulating copy.

For a quick fix, here is a brief list of local cities that have changed their names over the years.  This list was published in the very first issue of the Scott County Iowan, our Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society’s publication, way back in 1977:

Bettendorf previously went by Lilienthal, Gilbert or Gilbertown

Burlington was known as Flint Hills

Davenport’s Indian name was Oskosh; another name was Morgan

Fairport was known as Salem

LeClaire had the names of Parkhurst, Berlin and Middletown

Keokuk was known as Fort Edwards

Milan, Illinois, was first named Camden

Muscatine went by Bloomington

Pleasant Valley was known as Valley City

Rock Island, Illinois, had two prior names – Stephenson and Farnhamsburg

_________________

(posted by Karen O)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

A Cemetery by Any Other Name

In July of 1900, the West Davenport Cemetery Association was looking for a new name for the cemetery. They were worried that it was too easily confused with Davenport’s City Cemetery, which was also located on the west part of town.

How did they decide on a new name? They had a contest!

The directors of the Association invited the public to submit suggestions until noon on August 5th. The person who submitted the winning name would receive a “good” burial lot in the newly named cemetery!

The board of directors met on August 6th to pick the new name. The next day, the Davenport Democrat reported that there was a long list to choose from and more time was needed. The Association had received 175 entries from various places across the country, including New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Chicago.

Of all of the names submitted, the early front-runner was “Grand View Cemetery”. But the directors couldn’t decide so they appointed a committee to study the suggestions and report at a later time.

On August 29th, the newspapers reported that a name had been selected. Many of the entries made reference to the “view” from the place. However, the directors were partial to names that referred to the location, like “Fairmount”, “Greenmount” and “Greenwood”. The directors decided that they liked “Fairmount” best.

Since three different people had written in suggesting that particular name, the directors pulled the winner out of a hat. The lucky recipient of the “good” plot at  Fairmount Cemetery was none other than Miss Freda Schricker, 15-year-old daughter of J. C. Schricker, secretary of the West Davenport Cemetery Association.

Freda Schricker died on July 18, 1986, at the age of 99. If you are interested in locating her choice burial lot, you won’t find it at Fairmount Cemetery. Miss Schricker was buried at Oakdale Cemetery beside her mother and father.  

What’s more, the Oakdale Cemetery sectional book states that John C. Schricker himself purchased lot 146 and 147 of Section 27 for $950 on May 23, 1928.

An eight-foot monument marks their final resting place:

Schricker monument at Oakdale Cemetery. Photo courtesy of Deb Williams.

I wonder if that prize burial lot at Fairmount Cemetery is still up for grabs…?

_____

Works Cited:

“Cemetery Renamed.” Davenport Democrat 29 August 1900: p. 4.

“Items in Brief.” Davenport Democrat 06 August 1900: p. 4.

“Name is Selected.” Davenport Times 29 August 1900: p. 8.

“The Cemetery Name.” Davenport Democrat 07 August 1900: p. 4.

“Win a Burial Lot.” Davenport Democrat 27 July 1900: p. 4.

(Posted by Cristina)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

We’re Cooking Now!

Although it’s well known—or should be—that our Special Collections Center archives the works of local authors, it appears that few of our patrons realize that this collection policy includes cookbooks produced by local organizations, schools, and businesses.

One of the oldest on our shelves, Selected Recipes, was compiled by St. Margaret’s guild of Trinity Cathedral in 1922. Contributors include Mrs. Joe Lane and Mrs. C. D. Waterman,* Mrs. Seth J. Temple,** and Miss Alice French.

The recipes in this particular book seem to take it on faith that readers know what they’re doing in the kitchen—there are no step-by-step instructions and the measurements tend to be . . .  colloquial. Still, who can resist this recipe, submitted by Miss Margaret Pillion?

Pumpkin Pie

Line deep pie plate with rich crust and fill with the following:
1 ½ cups steamed and strained pumpkins
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
Butter size of a walnut
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 pint sweet milk
½ teaspoon lemon extract
More spice may be added if desired

So, if you’re interested in following the culinary path through Davenport history—and who wouldn’t be—you’re welcome to come in and browse through our collection of local cookbooks.

Photocopies are ten cents each!
___
*whose husbands founded the Davenport law firm Lane & Waterman

**Whose husband was a prominent local architect

(posted by Cristina and Sarah)

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment