We are starting a new segment on the blog: a monthly social work spotlight submitted by the library’s very own social worker, Quinn! This month our resource spotlight will focus on families as August marks the back-to-school period for families within the Davenport Community School District. As the new school year begins, many families encounter challenges in ensuring a seamless transition while also securing the well-being of their loved ones. Statistics reveal that 33% of families in the Quad Cities struggle to meet their fundamental needs.
YWCA Quad Cities Empowerment Center, part of YWCA Quad Cities, is a place dedicated to providing essential resources that support families in overcoming challenges and ensuring their well-being as they work towards their goals. The center is designed to help families and individuals stay out of poverty long term. Its mission is to uplift women and their families by offering various resources and opportunities designed to be easily accessible.
Serving as a pivotal resource hub, YWCA Quad Cities Empowerment Center is a sanctuary for women and families seeking support and individualized assistance plans. These plans help identify impactful solutions that resonate for each individual fostering confidence, independence, and self-worth regardless of age, gender, race, or geographic location and promoting a more inclusive and equitable society.
These, amongst others, are the services provided by the YWCA Cities Empowerment Center:
- A Clothing Closet, which contains all types of clothing for women, men, and children.
- An Immediate Needs Pantry, which includes a variety of shelf-stable food items, cleaning and laundry supplies, feminine products, hygiene products, and baby items like food, formula, diapers, and wipes.
- A Learning Center, which offers access to computers, printers, free Wi-Fi, and various continuing education programs, all provided free of charge. Additionally, the center offers resume and job search assistance.
- Crisis funding is available for those in immediate need when resources permit.
- ThePlace2B, a drop-in center located at the Rock Island YWCA facility, which offers resources to at-risk and homeless youth.
YWCA Quad Cities’ Empowerment Center is currently located at 1225 E River Dr., Ste 140, Davenport, IA 52803; a move to a much larger facility is in the near future – you’ll definitely want to stay tuned for more information on this. To learn more about YWCA Quad Cities and its programs and services, please visit their website at www.ywcaqc.org or call 563-340-0310 for more information or to seek assistance.