Did you know that September is National Sewing Month? This came about in 1982 when President Ronald Reagan set out Proclamation 4976, which made September National Sewing Month.
Want to learn how to sew? We can help you here at the Davenport Public Library. In addition to the many books on sewing that the library has available for checkout, we offer something unique! At the Library | Main, you can find the Studio 321 Makerspace available for our patrons to use. The Library has created a Makerspace, which is a place in which people with shared interests, especially in computing or technology, can gather to work on projects while sharing ideas, equipment and knowledge. The Library Makerspace is designed to encourage individuals to innovate, explore their creativity and ingenuity, and to collaborate with and inspire others. What does this have to do with sewing, you might ask? Well…. the Studio 321 Makerspace has sewing machines available for you to use in the library!
The Heavy Duty 4432 sewing machine is designed with your heavy duty projects in mind, from denim to canvas. With adjustable presser foot pressure, you can also sew very lightweight sheers, and the stainless steel bedplate allows fabrics to glide over the machine with ease. Among the 110 stitch applications is a one-step buttonhole. The Heavy Duty 4432 features a 6.25″ sewing space (needle to tower) and 4.25″ height, free arm, extra high pressure foot lifter, and variable needle positions.
Want to use the Makerspace? Here are some tips!
- Makers must read all policies and sign the Makerspace Waiver and Release of Liability.
- Anyone under 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the Makerspace waiver. Anyone under 11 must have an adult present during use of the Makerspace.
- Makers agree to follow safety protocols and all instructions including those from Library staff and equipment manuals. Some equipment may require training from a staff member.
- An orientation session will be conducted by Library staff upon a maker’s first visit. For subsequent visits, makers may request training from staff, if needed, when making an appointment.
- Reservations for the Makerspace may be made at the Public Service Desk, by calling 563-326- 7832, or by visiting the library’s website at www.davenportlibrary.com. Check in at the Public Service Desk on the day of reservation
Curious what else is available in the Studio 321 Makerspace? Look below!