For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
- Build a Better Davenport: Improve Second Street!
- Build a Better Davenport: The Mueller Lumber Company
- Build a Better Davenport: Temple and Burrows Architects
- Build A Better Davenport: The Iowa Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home 1865 – 1975
- Build A Better Davenport: Gordon-Van Tine and the World War II Housing Boom
Tag Archives: World War One
Once again our J. B. Hostetler glass plate negative collection has yielded another fascinating image: a young H. E. Meier posing in his World War I Doughboy uniform. Herman Edward Meier was born to John and Christina Meier on July 21, … Continue reading
The ghosts and goblins were gone and local turkeys were still being fattened up in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. But Davenporters, and most of the world, were about to pause in their holiday preparations on to remember those who fought … Continue reading
Marion G. Crandell was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on April 25, 1872. She went to school in Cedar Rapids and Omaha, and attended the Sorbonne University in Paris, before residing with her brother for a short time in Alameda, … Continue reading
Americans probably couldn’t be blamed if they were lacking in holiday spirit as October faded into November in 1918. Not only was the Spanish Influenza making its way through the Quad Cities*, but the Great War continued to rage in … Continue reading