For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
- Look Alike Day: The Putnam & Parker Buildings
- In Memoriam: Patricia L. Scott
- It’s Opening Day at Modern Woodmen Park Stadium, thanks to the Depression-era Dreams of the Davenport Levee Commission
- Walking Matches: A nineteenth century competitive sport
- Irish Resources for your St. Patrick’s Day Perusing Pleasure
Tag Archives: World War II
Sunday, December 7th, 1941 was a cold morning in Davenport. The morning newspaper was focused on the tense talks between the United States and Japan. No one knew that life was going to change dramatically at 7:53 a.m. Hawaiian … Continue reading
In 2001, our Special Collections Center was privileged to conduct oral history interviews with several area World War II veterans and others who were personally connected to the War, both home and abroad. On this 70th anniversary of D-Day, we … Continue reading
While looking through our collections this week we came across this picture labelled “National Defense Program” Aluminum Drive – July 24 -25, 1941 We thought we would we share the memory. The photo appears to be of Boy Scouts and … Continue reading
In 2001, our own Karen, along with several volunteers, began interviewing local residents for a World War II/Korean War Oral History Project. Our Oral History Collection now includes the war-related stories of 74 veterans, former civilian workers, and even a war bride … Continue reading