For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
- Build A Better Davenport: The Iowa Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home 1865 – 1975
- Build A Better Davenport: Gordon-Van Tine and the World War II Housing Boom
- Build A Better Davenport: The Hunzinger Construction Company
- A L’oste Davenport Vineyard is Found Again
- Davenport City Cemetery: Preserving and celebrating the past
Tag Archives: Military Draft
On April 6, 1917, the United States declared war on Germany. On May 18, Congress passed the Selective Service Act, and every male resident of the United States between the ages of eighteen and forty-five, regardless of citizenship status, was … Continue reading
Fall of 1862 found the citizens of Davenport and Scott County adjusting to daily life during wartime. The Draft of August had been answered by eligible volunteers and those men were leaving home to join the Union cause. Women, children, … Continue reading