Tag Archives: Hospitals

Not Exactly Neighborly: The City Hospital Fire of 1860

Every city experiences growing pains along the way, and Davenport, Iowa is no different. As population and businesses grew during the nineteenth century the city began to adapt. Davenport’s city council realized early on that two medical facilities to treat … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

St. Luke’s Training School for Nurses

Today starts National Nurses Week. To honor these indispensible people, let’s take a look at the first nurses’ school in Davenport: When St. Lukes’s Hospital (now Genesis East) was first organized, it naturally had nurses on staff. But after only … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment