For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
- Build A Better Davenport: The Iowa Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home 1865 – 1975
- Build A Better Davenport: Gordon-Van Tine and the World War II Housing Boom
- Build A Better Davenport: The Hunzinger Construction Company
- A L’oste Davenport Vineyard is Found Again
- Davenport City Cemetery: Preserving and celebrating the past
Tag Archives: Fire
In the early morning hours of January 7, 1950, as frigid winter temperatures were made harsher by a strong wind, Mercy Hospital night orderly Murray Francis noted an eerie light glowing outside. Shortly after 2:00 a.m., he activated an alarm. … Continue reading
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a hundred times (how many of us heard that saying growing up?), the early Quad City Germans loved to sing and parade through town. It wasn’t just local Germans truthfully. When Davenport held special … Continue reading
Back in 1857, there was built in Davenport a hotel named the Burtis House (hotels back then were also called houses). The Burtis was built by Dr. J.J. Burtis. Dr. Burtis was not unfamiliar with the hotel business. He had … Continue reading