For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
- Build A Better Davenport: The Iowa Soldiers’ Orphans’ Home 1865 – 1975
- Build A Better Davenport: Gordon-Van Tine and the World War II Housing Boom
- Build A Better Davenport: The Hunzinger Construction Company
- A L’oste Davenport Vineyard is Found Again
- Davenport City Cemetery: Preserving and celebrating the past
Tag Archives: Davenport Public Schools
With school back in session after summer break, we thought we would take a look back at the excitement of the first day of school in 1907. Schools reopened for students on September 3rd that year. The Daily Times noted in … Continue reading
Summer vacation has ended in Davenport as children returned to school this past Monday. We thought to celebrate this occasion by revisiting the Fall of 1940. Seventy-five years ago, many of Davenport’s students were entering the hallways and classrooms of … Continue reading
Phebe W. Sudlow often appears of lists of ‘firsts’ for the positions she held throughout her career as an educator. Most, if not all of these related to her gender: Ms. Sudlow was the first female school superintendent in Iowa … Continue reading
Have you ever wondered if children of the nineteenth century groaned when it was time to return to school after summer break? If they did grumble about such things the week of September 10, 1866 would have been the time–back … Continue reading