RSSC’s Featured Image
Mississippi Ice Jam
This slow-moving crush of winter river ice was photographed from the Rock Island Arsenal in 1921.
According to newspaper accounts, these types of ice jams could take months to clear--just in time for the spring floods!
For your convenience, please explore our page of upcoming genealogical and local history events in the Quad-City area.
Be sure to mark these dates down in your own calendar!
Tag Archives: Davenport (Iowa)
At the municipal election on November 5th, 1957, the citizens of Davenport voted on a proposal to annex two separate areas totaling 28 square miles to the City of Davenport. The first area covered 11 square miles west of the … Continue reading
In June of this year, around 883 students graduated from our three Davenport high schools. In contrast, eighty-eight students received their diplomas from Davenport High School in June of 1912. It was one of the largest classes on record, and only … Continue reading
On June 20, 1912, students from 12 grammar schools in Davenport received diplomas. Due to the large number of graduates that year, the classes were split in two groups. Students from Washington, Monroe, Van Buren, Tyler, Taylor and Lincoln schools had their program at 10:00 … Continue reading
Quota Club International Incorporated was chartered on February 6, 1919 in Buffalo, New York. It was the first international women’s club and was made up of professional women. Quota is a Latin word that means “A share of one part … Continue reading
Davenport Civil Rights History The Davenport Civil Rights Commission recently put together a Walking Tour of Davenport, highlighting sites important to the development of Civil Rights in the city. Landmarks on the tour include businesses, churches . . . and … Continue reading
Phil Hutchison was the chief photographer for the Davenport Daily Times, Times-Democrat and Quad-City Times for 30 years. He succeeded Joe Boll, who left the Times to become advertisement manager of the Bureau Farmer, in March of 1946. He took … Continue reading
The street known as Kimberly Road in both Davenport and Bettendorf was dedicated on December 14th, 1936. This road was an extension of U. S. Highway No. 6 and it passed through what at the time was the northern section … Continue reading
Volume 1, Number 1 of the Daily Davenport Gazette* was published on Monday, October 16th, 1854. It was the first daily newspaper ever published in Davenport. The Gazette had been published weekly for the previous 13 years, and started out with about … Continue reading