The Greater Davenport Committee, a precursor to the Davenport Chamber of Commerce, was founded in 1910, with E. P. Adler as its first president. Its purpose was to advertise Davenport and bring new businesses to the city.
For one of their first projects, they published a booklet filled with pictures of residences, businesses, parks and other attractions – “some of the reasons why those who live in Davenport love their city”.
The booklet was sold in leading store in Davenport for ten cents per copy. The cover featured a colorful picture of Fejervary Park with the phrases “Gateway to the West” on the back and “A City in Which to Live” on the front.
This booklet is a great snapshot of what life was like in Davenport in the 1910′s. It can also be a reasource for people who are researching historic homes. The residences featured in the booklet are listed by the owner’s name. Some of the owners were photographed by Hostetler around the same time and are included in our Photograph Collection (click on the links to view images):
Alfred E. Walsh, 1530 Perry St
Andrew J. Preston, 1216 3rd Ave (E 10th St)
August E. Steffen, 410 W 6th St
Edward C., Frank W. & Wm L. Mueller, 413, 421 & 429 W 6th St
Isaac Deutsch, 2135 Main St
James W. Walsh, 1401 Brady St
Joe R. Lane, 331 (1017) Mississippi Ave
Louis P. Best, 627 Ripley St
Nathaniel French, River Drive & McClellan Blvd
Richardson Estate, East River Drive
Rowland H. Harned, 130 (830) Mississippi Avenue
Rudolph J. Clausen, 2330 Harrison St
Selma Schricker, 1430 Clay St
The booklet also has photographs of a few unidentified homes on some of the more picturesques streets and neighborhoods. Part of the difficulty is that some of the street names and house numbers changed after 1918.
Other buildings pictured include City Hall, Commercial Club, Davenport High School, Immaculate Conception Academy, First Presbyterian Church, Mercy Hospital, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Scott County Courthouse, Trinity Episcopal Church, and the Carnegie building of the Davenport Public Library.
You are welcome to visit our Center and take a look at this fascinating piece of history!
(posted by Cristina)