Banned Books Week is an annual event sponsored by the American Library Association; it’s purpose is to celebrate the freedom to read. At the Davenport Public Library, we’ve got displays up at our three locations showing some of the many books that have been challenged, banned or restricted over the years. You might be surprised to find some of your favorite titles on the list! Here are a few of my favorites that someone, at sometime, deemed inappropriate:
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London
- Where’s Waldo by Martin Handford
- The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Come check out our display and accompanying brochure with titles of even more banned books. Maybe this would be the perfect time to read one!